Table of Contents
Over the years I have read some books completely and some books only partially. But, when it comes to the book that serves as an underpinning to so many writings, I have read a fragment of Genesis and maybe a psalm or two. So it seems only fitting that Jamawg’s first exploration is the Bible.
Problem 1 What`s Jamawg Doing
At its simplest I am reading the Bible beginning with Genesis and writing about that process as I go. A more nuanced answer is Jamawg is curious and frankly I am not sure what I want to say about the Bible. An even more detailed answer is, the Bible has played and continues to play a major part in the fabric of Judeo-Christian culture, and many of the stories of art, music and literature have roots in the stories of the Bible, and therefore knowing the Bible better would be a good thing.
Problem 2 Someone Will Get Offended
Oh shit, I am probably going to offend someone. That is not my intention and my hope is that regardless of your beliefs, you take this exploration in the benign spirit it is offered. For those of you who already think that you are going to be offended, please stop reading now. On a special note to my many Christian friends, I mean and intend no offense or insult.
Problem 3 Which Bible to Read
In my naivete, I thought I would just start with King James Version, as there cannot be that many versions of the Bible. Ah, silly me. In a quick tour of Google, I quickly encountered a cascade of acronyms. Just a sample includes:
- King James Version (KJV) and the New King James Version (NKJV)
- Revised Standard Version (RSV) and New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
- American Standard Version (ASV) and the New American Standard Bible (NASB)
- New International Version (NIV) and Today’s New International Version (TNIV)
- New Living Translation (NLV)
- … And pages more
In keeping with the spirit of ‘In the absence of any real insight, let’s begin somewhere’, I have decided to begin with King James Version complete with begats, thees and thous. For help, and trust me I am going to need it, I will try the New King James Version (NKJV), and the New English Translation (NET).
The objective is vaguely known. The destination is unclear. I will probably offend someone. I know the version I am going to read. Sounds like an excellent beginning.
J / Jan, 2015
Update 2015-02-20, This page besides introducing this exploration, now also provides an access point where you can navigate to all the related (not the interludes) posts in order by book and chapter.
Update 2015-03-06, I continue to explore different ways of organizing this site and improving the navigation. With that in mind:
- This is the new home page.
- The previous welcome page has become the “About” page (see menu).
- The links to the posts are now in reverse order. The image representing the most recent chapter written about is now the first image in the first row.
- The links to the posts have been moved to the top of the page.