Here we are the beginning of time with a familiar story. In summary:
- Day 1 the light is divided from the darkness
- Day 2 the waters and heaven are separated
- Day 3 earth is separated from water; grass, herb yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit are all created
- Day 4 the great light of day, the sun is created, and the lesser light of the night, the moon is created
- Day 5 whales, all creatures that have life, and fowl that may fly are created and given the ability to go forth and multiply
- Day 6 man and woman are created (details in chapter 2) and instructed to go forth and multiply
In 1.28 “God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth”. Unfortunately this does not bode well for planet earth. Men and woman are instructed to subdue the earth and have dominion over all that moves. In other words, a cornerstone of western culture (the Bible) states that people are to take control of life rather than live in harmony with the natural world.
If you are a trivia buff then Day 5 answers the question what was the first named animal in the Bible. The answer is whales. Now how cool is that? As I suspected, and as Spock new in Star Trek IV “The Voyage Home”, whales are special. Sadly, in both New King James Version and the New English Translation the word whales has been replaced by “great sea creatures”.